Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wisdom Teeth

So, I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled on Monday. Fun times. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be though! I was lucky in that none of them were impacted, so they only had to be pulled- no gum cutting or **cringe** digging out tooth fragments involved. Which is making for a fairly easy recovery, so far no swelling or extreme pain (*knock on wood*).

I originally wanted to do it awake, because I'd never been put under before and the whole idea freaked me out. But, because it was all four teeth, they would only do it with me being put to sleep- and in the end I'm glad of it! (I only say that because it went well.) It was the strangest feeling though, he told me he was putting the drug in the IV and told me to take some deep breaths. Breath 1, I was thinking "OhmygodI'mgoingtodie", breath 2 I was thinking about how the oxygen tube they put by my nose was cold and smelled funny, breath 3 I opened my eyes and somehow it was 40 minutes later, my sweatshirt and glasses were back on, Tong and Bella were standing in the doorway, and my mouth was numb as hell and stuffed full of gauze. We-eird! I'm almost positive I was dreaming while I was asleep, but I have no idea what about. I was pretty out of it until that afternoon- I only remember bits and pieces of the car ride home and I slept for a good 2 hours as soon as I hit the couch.

Bella has done really well with it all, and seemed to understand my simplified version of what was going on (Mommy has some teeth waaaaay in back that aren't supposed to be there, so the doctor is going to give her a shot to make her sleepy and take those teeth out, and it will hurt for a while, but then it will be all better). T told me later that Bella was super worried about me the whole time they were sitting in the waiting room. She kept asking about me, where I was, if I was ok, etc. I guess the nurses thought she was just the sweetest little thing (but who wouldn't? LOL). When they came back to see me, Bella ran up to the chair and gave me a hug as soon as I woke up. Later when we were at home, she came up to me, put a hand gently on my cheek, and said, "Ohhhh, Mommy, I sorry you have owies in your mouth. I go get my doctor kit and fix them for you?" And then today, T had to go back to work so I was tired and a little cranky, and by Bella's bedtime I was just beat, and snapped at her when she wasn't listening. She walks over to me, gives me a hug, and says, "It's ok Mommy, I understand you're tired." Gah! I practically burst into tears right there! How on earth did I get so lucky to have such an sweet, understanding, amazing little girl??

No comments:

Post a Comment